Tuesday 21 February 2012

Mystery ducks

Spent an hour in the woods this morning, meandering down to the clay pits and back. A beautiful morning, almost feeling like spring – looking forward to the first migrants arriving back and the longer mornings!
Flushed 2 different Woodcock from the side of the path and saw a couple of nice Marsh Tit at different locations. The most frustrating moment was 2 small ducks coming out of the clay pits area and flying straight into the sun. The only feature I got was of white trailing edge to the secondaries.
Chances are they were Mandarin but I can’t be 100% certain - my brain said “Wood Duck” when I first saw them but that is probably a residual thing from living in the USA. However Pensthorpe is not far away and I know at least one local poultry small-holding keep both Mandarin and Wood Duck in their pens.
33 species seen and I added Skylark and Great-spotted Woodpecker to my year list, bringing it to 59 (I am sure I have already seen both this year but they aren’t in my records).
-!-

6 comments:

  1. Whats in the Clay Pits mate ? any Ducks ?

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing, they are just a collection of small overgrown puddles in the woods. I have seen Moorhen, Mallard and a Grey Heron on the largest but only once for each.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that the site that you showed me ? they must have been Mandys ??? i think we should start putting up pics of our "key" locations so others can get a feel ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, these are in the great wood - I'll dig out some photos and upload them sometime. As I said in the post, they were more than likely Mandarin but I didn't get anything to 100% positively ID them and none of the locals have mentioned seeing orange ducks in the woods ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you been back to that pool you showed Kellie and me when we came up ? the Kingfisher pond ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I regularly walk past it - we now call it The Pond - and is completely devoid of life. The trees and scrub have been tidied around it, so it's a little exposed at the moment.

    ReplyDelete