Saturday 24 October 2020

30th September - Two Barred Warbler - at last ...

 

30th September 

I had pretty much ignored the 2006 Filey bird and by the time I had got back into the Two Barred Greenish Warbler (What is this Two Barrred Warbler naming nonsense !) vibe, I was on Scilly for the 2017 Dorset bird. 

So i decided to go for the next bird .. I only had three years to wait. Ross Ahmed spent all day piecing together briefly seen "Greenish" Warbler at Budle Bay in Sallows above the Caravan Park there. 

I wasnt able to go super early the next morning, so it was with relief that it was still there at 8am and after a work call at 10am , I was able to head off. 

I arrived at the layby about 3pm , there was negative news as i arrived since 13:30, so i headed down to the Caravan park and had my hopeful hat on ( well it was a wooly one anyhows ) 

As I arrived , There was a lot of movement and i immediately got on a Warbler flying across Bracken, it landed on a Hawthorn, where i could see it was a "Greenish" Type 

It immediately flew to a large Hawthorn where I was able to see a 1 second view of it ! 

It then flew over my head into the sallows ... 

We then lost it for 10 minutes , it literally vanished, Suddenly it apeared back n the Hawthrorn where I was able to see it for 5 seconds again and then had it on a close flyby, where the secondary Median covert bar was seen extremely well in fight ! 

It then vanished again ... 

It was looking very likely that all i was going to see was fleeting glimpses , around 30 people were still on site including my old friend Martin Kerby. 

It was about 10 minutes before Martin tapped me on the shoulder ( virtully as we were all keeping our physical distance from everyone) that I had my best view, I was just searching through the Sycamore when the bird just hopped into view, I spent 10 seconds or so just taking in the long Greater covert bar and the afore mentioned secong Median covert bar as well as its overall "brightness" it was then that i shouted everyone over and saw it for a further 5 seconds before t flitted out of view and only one other person saw it move. 

 

That was it ... No further sign til dark 

But I had seen it and it was a bit lovely 

Really great to catch up with Martin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment