Tuesday 6 October 2020

6 October 2020 - Holme Dunes and Wighton

 


I was meant to be heading out for 24 hrs fishing but various things got in the way, so I ended up popping up to Holme for the evening.

Although a brisk westerly was blowing, I was hoping I would see something. I parked at the first car park and headed west past the golf course to Old Hunstanton and back.


No sign of 'my' pale Lesser Whitethroat but two Redstart made up for that, along with a couple of Chiffchaff and a Garden Warbler.

Further along the coast path, by the stretch where you can cross the golf course, I flushed a large, dull, long-tailed Warbler from the side of the path into the bottom of a tiny bush in front of me. I could see it in silhouette but not get anything on it before it dropped deep into the huge area of cover on the dune there. The only thing I got on it were white outer-tails.

It's in there somewhere

A few minutes pishing got me some very strange looks from walkers and 3 Lesser Whitethroat. It wasn't a Lesser Whitethroat.

Moving on down the path and I was pleasantly surprised by a Yellow-browed Warbler, showing very well along the path. Apart from a handful of Stonechat, I didn't find much else.

Nothing Under the Rainbow

The heavens opened and I got drenched on my way back to the car but that didn't put me off heading over to Wighton to see the showy Hoopoe. After a very slooooow journey (what are the chances of a tractor also driving cross-country from Holme to Wighton?!?), I managed to see the Hoopoe between showers - it was very obliging and felt quite out of place!

Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment