Saturday 7 April 2012

Black Red

Black Reds are more or less annual at CMK, so it was no surprise when one turned up today (despite being initially misidentified as a male Redstart).  It's still the best bird to turn up on my patch this year though, so I made my way over once it's true identity became clear.

A nice first-summer male, with a coal black face, the usual shivering rusty tail, and brown wings, with no hint of a wing panel.  Also on site, 1pr of Linnet.

At Campbell Park yesterday, absolutely nothing of note except dog walkers, a type who I'm developing an almost pathological dislike for, waddling around letting their beloved pooches trash and crap over anything that photosynthesises.  I think I've found the Kestrel nest though, in a nice big half-dead tree by the canal.

My other patch, the one I pay more attention to, Linford, has enjoyed a reasonable few days.  Dunlin, males of Pintail and Red-crested Dullard, a significant hirundine movement, and best of all a splendid male Redstart today.

Bring on the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment