Friday 10 January 2014

Footing It in Swanton Novers

Although I am meant to be doing Salthouse as my patch this year, I couldn't resist also doing the 1 mile radius footit challenge. Its only for January and Si and Ash were up for it too. Now I am sure that Ash is following the footit rules as he can't drive but Mr Nichols...lets see if his footit list is the same as his patch list for January ;-)

I have headed out into the wilds of Swanton Novers on a few occasions and things have been very slow so far. I am missing a few really easy species (Stock Dove, Yellowhammer, Barn Owl, Buzzard) and some expected birds (Teal, Grey Heron and Red-legged Partridge).

The highlights have been a Meadow Pipit flying around the long hedge field frantically calling (previous 2 records were autumn birds), Crossbills are always nice to see and 300 Pink-footed Geese over were very nice, if not unexpected at this time of year.

So my footit score is 43 (of target 60), and 9 miles walked so far.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not saying Simon cheats, but be careful of his Little Egret on footit ;)

    ReplyDelete